If you’re planning a trip to New York and flying into LaGuardia, JFK or Newark International Airports, you may be facing a big question around how you’ll get into New York from the airport. None of the airports are located centrally to Manhattan, which means you could be in for a long public transit ride or an expensive cab, Uber or Lyft ride, even if you’re opting for the less expensive shared Lyft ride or UberPool.
The perfect solution? An airport shuttle service. While UberPool and a shared Lyft ride are typically more affordable than private cars, they come with some drawbacks as well. As you consider your best transportation option to get from LaGuardia, JFK or Newark International Airport to Manhattan, here are a few factors to keep in mind.
- Hidden Fees: Services like Uber and Lyft typically add surcharges to their already hefty price tags, and over recent months these rising fares have become exorbitant, particularly during high-demand periods. Surge pricing and other fees can make an initially reasonable rideshare double or triple in price. When you book with a share ride shuttle service like Go Airlink, you will know your price ahead of time. If you’re going to incur an additional charge for a toll, this will be included in your estimate.
- Environmental Impact: When they’re without passengers waiting for a ride request, Uber and Lyft drivers engage in a practice called “deadheading.” This means that while these drivers are not transporting passengers, they’re still spending time driving around waiting for a request. What does this mean in regard to long-term effects? The vehicles are negatively impacting the environment by adding to traffic congestion and increasing emissions in the air.
- Driver Vetting: Rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft have made advances in terms of background checking their drivers, but in a city you’re not familiar with, a well-vetted and reliable driver is a must. To that end, safety is our first and highest priority. Our safety and compliance teams have developed systems and procedures to ensure safety 24/7, everyday of the year. We require our drivers to obtain a commercial license for passengers, to maintain a clean driving record, and to learn and exhibit a high level of customer service. To accomplish this, they endure an intense, 3-week screening process and must pass a written & road test and a drug test; and must obtain a medical card. Once a driver is on the road, we monitor DMV drivers’ records daily, as well as review customer feedback and surveys. Our system is automatically alerted to any changes to DMV records. Lastly, all of our drivers carry and must visibly display our company picture ID.
- Driver Knowledge: Our drivers are extremely knowledgeable about New York City and are happy to act as driving tour guides as they take you from your pickup point to your destination. If you have questions about what to experience, the best way to get somewhere, or the best day or time to visit a particular attraction, just ask and they’ll happily assist you as best they can.
- Convenience & Peace of Mind: By booking a share ride airport shuttle in advance, you get peace of mind that you’ll have available transportation waiting for you upon arrival or departure.
See for yourself! Check availability and pricing, and reserve a seat on our website.