Travelling with kids can instantly turn a vacation into work—the exact thing you wanted to escape. Whether it’s kicking plane seats, fighting with siblings or relentless whining, travelling with kids can be as aggravating as the security check-in at the airport. Here are some ways to keep them entertained and finally put an end to the age-old question, “Are we there yet?”
- Bring coloring books and crayons or a doodling board for your young Picasso.
- Nothing makes a trip go by quicker than getting lost in a good book. Bring picture books for younger children, like Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein and Green Eggs and Ham by the infamous Dr. Seuss. Other classic reads for your older kids are Holes by Louis Sachar, and of course Harry Potter.
- Comfort is key! Make sure to bring a blanket and pillow for your child so they can rest up easily.
- Bring electronic items such as your iPad or smartphone for your child to watch videos. LeapFrog also offers a device perfect for travel called the Leapster GS Explorer Travel. It comes with a convenient case that protects it and makes travelling more organized.
- Download interesting apps that will keep your child engaged while having fun. A few top-rated kids apps are “Endless Alphabet”, an interactive app that teaches the alphabet along with colorful cartoons. “Me Comics” is another, enabling the child to read and record their voice narration of their favorite cartoon characters. In addition, “Disney Story Time” is another kid’s favorite pick, including dozens of Disney’s most famous tales, from Frozen to Lion King. You can also download tons of apps for Leapster, from learning games and ebooks to music.
- Tame your child’s tummy by stocking up on plenty of snacks. Prepare peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, fresh fruit and vegetables and fruit leather (instead of Fruit Roll Ups) to name a few. Some other ideas are string cheese, rice cakes, cereal, Go-Gurt, Lunchables, and juice boxes. Try out Back to Nature juice boxes—there are no artificial preservatives or added sugar, so you won’t be chasing after your hyper toddler.
Make this trip an easy, relaxing one by keeping your child occupied and take GO Airlink NYC. Follow these tips and you’ll be out of that minivan and at your destination in no time!