If you’ve ever seen a movie or a TV show set in New York City, you’re familiar with the classic yellow NYC taxi. Taxis are just one way to get around the city. Whether you’re staying in New York for a long time or just visiting for the weekend, this quick guide to subways, taxis and car service can help you learn more about your transportation options.
Many people who visit New York have never hailed a cab before. No need to worry! After the first couple of times, you’ll feel like a pro. Here are the steps you should follow.
- Look for a light on top of the taxi. If the roof light is on, the taxi is free to pick you up.
- Step off the curb and raise your arm. Make eye contact. The driver will stop for you. (Or not. If not, don’t panic. Another taxi will come along in a minute.)
- Remember that every NYC taxi has a limit on the number of passengers it can carry. Most standard vehicles can only carry four people. An additional small child is also okay on a grown-up’s lap.
- Tell the driver where you’re going.
- When you arrive, pay the amount shown on the meter. An additional tip of 10 to 20 percent is normal. Go for the higher end if the driver has gone out of their way to be helpful.
Navigating the Subway
If you’re on a budget and planning to see lots of sights in NYC, the subway can be a great transportation choice. It will get you almost anywhere in the city for just a few dollars. While the system can seem confusing at first, it’s simple to find stations (especially in midtown Manhattan), and subway maps are easily available. There are also convenient phone apps to help you navigate your way around the system.
You can pay your fare in a number of different ways, depending on the length of your stay in New York. You’ll need a ticket, called a MetroCard, to ride the subway. Single ride cards are good for a one-way journey. A pay-per-ride ticket can be pre-loaded with cash, making it more convenient for visitors. Unlimited ride cards are good for people who are spending more time in the city.
Limo Service for a Classy Touch
Personalized car service is a classy and convenient way to get around in New York City. It can be especially useful to get to and from the airport. If you want to travel in style, especially if you’re with a group, car service can be a perfect choice. Limo services have five major advantages:
- The cost of car service is only slightly higher than the cost of a cab.
- A limo can accommodate more people than a standard taxi.
- Drivers will give you personalized assistance with luggage and other needs.
- Direct services are available from all NYC airports.
- Drivers are also available to give sightseeing tours and offer advice on local attractions.
There are plenty of options for getting around New York. Part of the fun of trip planning can be thinking about your transportation choices. Whether you decide on an NYC taxi, car service, a subway ride or a walk through Central Park, you can look forward to a great vacation.